Thursday, August 29, 2013

Why I love Instagram


I taught art to high schoolers for a few billion years after graduating college, and my favorite days were always the days we talked about the Impressionists. There are lots of reasons I love Impressionism (painting outside? quelle horreur!), but without going into an art history lesson, one of the things that has always resonated with me is that they believed art didn’t have to be about great moments in history, or Greek gods, or Important Stuff in general: it could be about everyday life and normal people. Elevating everyday life to art. Yes!


You might see where I’m going with this. I’m a big fan of creating beautiful MOMENTS and trying to be creative every day, and things like Instagram really encourage that. Not everyone uses Instagram in this way obviously (that’s ok, too--keep the selfies coming!), but there are so many people doing beautiful, amazing, small, quiet, artful things with this little app. Encouraging everyone, "artist" or no, to do something creative in their every day lives is such a healthy thing, and I am a huge fan. 


And lastly, I feel like it can be easy to get a bit snobbish about cameras, but who was it that said the best camera is the one you have with you? I think it was Chase Jarvis. Well, in any case, they were right in my book. 

I’d love for us to be Instagram pals, you can check out my feed and follow me here: http://www.instagram.com/joanna_tillman

WEBSITE
 | CONTACT 

No comments:

Post a Comment