Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Seth | Maryland Senior Portraits (and how I get into photography)

This blog post has been a while in coming because the subject, who just so happens to be my youngest brother Seth, is already rocking his first year of college. But I was talking to some friends about our own high school senior years the other day and it reminded me that I'd like to share more of my senior photography work on this blog.

So here's Seth, he was actually my very first human photography subject after my dad gave me my first camera (the irreplaceable Pentax K1000 which I continued to use through college). I was 12 years old and Seth was just a toddler. I still wonder at what a patient (long suffering, even!) subject he was, even as a little kid.

I had the idea when I first started taking pictures that if I just kept using my camera, eventually I'd get good. So I bought lots of Fujifilm from the drugstore and shot roll upon roll upon roll in the woods behind our house, and then I'd take most of the rolls back to the drugstore to have them developed. Once they were printed I'd realize that they were all crap, then go through each one and wonder what I could do better, and then back to the woods I'd go and take more pictures.

Things didn't start looking up until I began photographing people, and as I mentioned above Seth was one of my first subjects because he was too small back then to put up much of a fight. These days he's not only much taller than me but also one of the more awesome people I know, and I'm proud to have taken his senior photos. Here are a select few from our session.







                     





WEBSITE
 | CONTACT




No comments:

Post a Comment