Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Classical posing for photographers

I've been really inspired by sketches and figure studies by some of the great artists lately. It's classical posing! Unfortunately when linked with photography, the words "classical posing" often bring to mind the 80s big chain portrait studios: stiff figures with frozen fake smiles. But I'm thinking more about the history of art here.

I love these sketches by da Vinci, Michelangelo, and John William Waterhouse--how they show the obsessive study of the human figure and angles of the face and lines of the shoulders, neck, and hands. These seemingly simple poses, skillfully crafted, look so dynamic on paper. It's really important, I think, for photographers to not forget about art history and to learn from it as much as we can. I'm excited to try some more dynamic poses with my next model photo session.








No comments:

Post a Comment